What's a CSA?
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It's a relationship between the farm and community members who support the farm in exchange for weekly fresh vegetables. When you participate in the Lazy Heron CSA, you have access to the freshest vegetables, support sustainable agriculture, invest in your local economy, and foster relationships between neighbors.
How it works
Our CSA is free-choice, which means that instead of getting a basket of what we think you'd like in your share, you get to pick from a wide variety of vegetables every week. Each week, members come to the farm to pick up their share which consists of a number of 'items'. Examples of an item include: a head of lettuce, a quarter pound of baby spinach, a bunch of kale, a pound of green beans, a melon, a bunch of basil. A large share is 10 items, regular 8, and small 4. Every week there will be between 10 and 20 items available, and members are free to take any combination of items based on their share size. Like okra? Take three 'items' of it. Not a fan of eggplant? Skip it and choose something else! Members are free to cut flowers, visit the horses, and enjoy the fields at farm pick-up. For those who can't make it out to the farm, we will have two market pickups available as well.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Our 2017 CSA is 26 weeks long, starting in May and ending in November.
- Every week you'll get to bring home a selection of delicious, sustainably grown vegetables. You'll also get a weekly newsletter with recipes and news from the farm, plus the knowledge that you're making good choices for the health of your family, the land, and the local economy.
- Everyone deserves fresh, healthy veggies! We want to make sure that our CSA is accessible to everyone.
- If you aren't able to pay for your share in full, we have payment plans available, detailed in the table below.
- We also have limited reduced price shares available thanks to the generous donations of several members. Email us if you need assistance purchasing a share or would like to contribute to the fund!
PICK UP OPTIONS
- ON FARM PICK-UP: Pick up your share every Tuesday on our farm in Norwood, NC 3:30-6:30pm. This is our preferred option because it gives us a chance to get to know you, and it gives you the chance to get to know the farm. If you choose to pick up on the farm, you'll get added perks like u-pick flowers and the chance to say hello to our hard working horses.
- MARKET PICK-UP: We will have a pick-up Saturday morning in Albemarle, likely at the Stanly County Farmers Market 8am-noon. CSA shares can also be picked up at the NODA Farmers Market in Charlotte Saturday, 9am-noon.
- NORTH CHARLOTTE PICK-UP: We're excited to be offering a new pre-packed box pick-up location in Charlotte.
- Mondays 5:30-6:30 PM
- 4101 Saxonbury Way Charlotte, NC 28269 (address subject to change based on community interest)
- You may switch between pick-up locations