What's a CSA?
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It's a relationship between the farm and community members who support the farm in exchange for weekly fresh vegetables, chicken, eggs, and/or flowers. When you participate in the Lazy Heron CSA, you have access to the freshest vegetables, support sustainable agriculture, invest in your local economy, and foster relationships between neighbors. Sign-ups for 2018 are open now!
Information on NEW for 2018 CSA add-ons including chicken, eggs, and flowers can be found at the bottom of the page.
How it works
Our vegetable CSA is free-choice, which means that instead of getting a basket of what we think you'd like in your share, you get to pick from a wide variety of vegetables every week. Each week, members come to the farm to pick up their share which consists of a number of 'items'. Examples of an item include: a head of lettuce, a quarter pound of baby spinach, a bunch of kale, a pound of green beans, a melon, a bunch of basil. A large share is 10 items, regular 8, small 6, and junior 4. Every week there will be between 10 and 20 items available, and members are free to take any combination of items based on their share size. Like okra? Take three 'items' of it. Not a fan of eggplant? Skip it and choose something else! Members are free to cut flowers, visit the horses, and enjoy the fields at farm pick-up. For those who can't make it out to the farm, we will have a box drop location and two market pickups available as well.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Our 2018 main-season CSA is 26 weeks long, starting in mid-April and ending in mid-October.
- Every week you'll get to bring home a selection of delicious, sustainably grown vegetables. You'll also get a weekly newsletter with recipes and news from the farm, plus the knowledge that you're making good choices for the health of your family, the land, and the local economy.
- Everyone deserves fresh, healthy veggies! We want to make sure that our CSA is accessible to everyone.
- If you aren't able to pay for your share in full, we have payment plans available, detailed in the table below.
- We also have limited reduced price shares available thanks to the generous donations of several members. Email us if you need assistance purchasing a share or would like to contribute to the fund!
PICK UP OPTIONS
- ON FARM PICK-UP: Pick up your share every Tuesday on our farm in Norwood, NC 3:30-6:30pm. This is our preferred option because it gives us a chance to get to know you, and it gives you the chance to get to know the farm. If you choose to pick up on the farm, you'll get added perks like u-pick flowers and the chance to say hello to our hard working horses. There is also a small discount for picking up on the farm.
- MARKET PICK-UP: We will have a pick-up Saturday morning in Albemarle, at the Stanly County Farmers Market 8am-noon. CSA shares can also be picked up at the NODA Farmers Market in Charlotte Saturday, 9am-noon.
- NORTH CHARLOTTE PICK-UP:
- Mondays 5:30-6:30 PM
- 4101 Saxonbury Way Charlotte, NC 28269
- Members at this pick-up receive a weekly box with a set list of vegetables, though may swap out for favorites at our "trade table"
- You may switch between pick-up locations if you let us know in advance. If you miss your pick-up, you are encouraged to get your items at your convenience from the farm stand (coming winter 2018). The selection is not as good as at pick-up.
- We're planning on adding additional pick-up options for the 2018 season. Check back for details!